Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration

Last week was a historic one for our nation, one which I was happy to be able to witness. I found myself reflecting back on the week of the election and the great excitement I felt then. I remember talking to James the day before the election about how excited we were that it looked like Barack Obama was going to win. I had a hard time letting myself believe it, though I was so excited at the prospect. It still seems a little surreal, for many reasons. But I am so happy for our nation. I am truly proud of America for electing Barack Obama.

I know that a lot of people disagree with Obama politically. But, I was quite saddened to see several of my friends and acquaintances wilfully avoiding all things related to the inauguration seemingly just because their candidate (or party) did not win. It is important for us as a country that a black man has become the President. It is also a huge blessing that such a transfer of power happens peacefully. Perhaps we have become too complacent if we don't realize the significance of that blessing. Because of the current state of our country, this is an important moment in the history of the nation. Whether Obama becomes one of the "greats" or not, I think someday those people will be sad they allowed disappointment, prejudice (I mean political) or bitterness keep them from celebrating America and its greatness, regardless of who is at its head. If there was ever a day to put petty politics aside, this was one of them.

I felt like the inauguration was not so much about Barack Obama as about our nation. And I think that even the most avid conservative could find something of value in the festivities, whether it is in Obama's speech, the beautiful music, or the masterful prayers. I will share a few of my favorite moments:
  • Seeing so many of our nation's leaders past and present gathered together. I think Obama's words of appreciation for the sacrifice of those who have found meaning in something greater than themselves must have resonated with these people.
  • The quartet that played "Simple Gifts." I think Yo Yo Ma is a consumate artist. No one could possibly enjoy his music more than he appears to. He plays for the joy of the music.
  • Rev. Joseph Lowery's poetic benediction. He is a wordsmith of the highest ability.
  • The fact that so many people were watching that our internet reception was completely choppy. It was nice to participate in such a grand scale event.
From Pres. Obama's speech (and I heartily recommend the entire speech):
  • The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.
  • Greatness is never a given. It must be earned.
  • Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America.
  • Our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please.
  • As much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies.
  • The values upon which our success depends: hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiousity, loyalty and patriotism.
As I said, the day was not about Barack Obama, it was about America. And his speech was not about him but about what each of us needs to do and who we need to be. He said everyone should come away from the inauguration with a feeling of personal responsibility. We will each do different things to help build our nation, but everyone can do something. I am excited by Obama's challenge to the country to engage in community service. What a difference a little giving can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment