Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 41: Whatever Tickles Your Fancy

We saw this truck one day while driving down the interstate. It's actually a hospital laundry service. However, I just love the message. How many things do we buy cheap, knowing they won't last, just to throw them away and replace them in a few weeks, months or years? Why aren't things made to last anymore? They're not even made to be repaired. Most things are made to be replaced. I realize this provides more opportunity for corporations to make money selling us junk. I do not, however, see why we as consumers put up with it. In fact, we plan for it. I want my clothes to last more than one year. I want to be using the same pots and pans I got for my wedding when my daughter got married (my mom is). I hate throwing away a whole printer/fax/copier just because one tiny piece isn't working anymore and it's impossible to fix. I do not think it's really necessary that in the nearly five years we've been married we've had to buy a new waffle iron, a new blender, a new microwave and a new toaster. I know being "green" is very trendy right now. And I think that's all fine and good. However, I wonder whether we'd have to worry so much about how biodegradable things are if we didn't throw so much away? People also recycle a lot, which I don't buy into at all. I know an environmental engineer who says it's environmentally neutral. And even if it isn't, is it really better to recycle than to simply reduce or reuse? Why have we forgotten those other two important Rs? I think we could buy less, use less, reuse more and keep using a whole lot of things if we'd only go for quality rather than low price. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge shopper, but I try to think about things long term. I'd rather pay more now than come back next year and buy it again. Sadly, I think I'm in the minority, so it's growing increasingly difficult to find anything made to last at all.

1 comment:

  1. Although I am personally a moderate fan of recycling I give a hearty Amen to everything else.

    I've been thinking about your post for a couple of days now and I'm not sure what I think the answer is. It would be great if we could all purchase quality products that would last us many years because a.) less energy and less raw goods are used (in the production of one pot as opposed to four pots) and b.) it would actually save people money in the long run (i.e. being able to use the same pots for 40 years as opposed to having to buy new ones every 5-7). The problem is that quality always costs more and that many people don't (or think that they don't) have the capital to invest in quality and are unable (or unwilling) to wait, and to save, until they do. As much as I wish we did, we just don't live in a wait and save world anymore. It's all about immediate (and mediocre) gratification.

    And that's not even acknowledging all of the trash we generate from technological gadgets that we have to replace every 2-3 years, like computers and cell phones, because they so quickly become "outdated". Thinking about that stuff REALLY stresses me out.

    ReplyDelete