Sunday, June 5, 2011

In Other Words, I Like It

People keep asking me how the new job is going. I think this about sums it up:

Early Friday evening, I was pondering how much work to do and how much to leave for Saturday. Someone wisely reminded me this week that there will always be something in my inbox, so I shouldn't try to have everything done all the time. The "to-do" list will always have something left on it. Of course, that doesn't mean my list wasn't really long. Starting a new job usually means having too much to do for a while.

I decided instead of looking at how much I had left that I could do, I would count the number of hours I'd put in during the week. I couldn't really quit without my 40 hours, right? Excepting the 12 hours I'd spent finishing up the LSAT class I was still teaching, I arrived at 37.5. So really, I ought to put in 2.5 more hours between Friday and Saturday. Totally doable.

But then, I realized that this included 7 hours of work on Monday. And Monday was supposed to be a holiday. How, I wondered, would I ever have enough time to do all of my work in a regular week when I didn't have that "bonus" day to put in extra hours? Then I realized that Monday was a holiday. Meaning I didn't have to work it. Meaning I only had to work 32 hours this week. Meaning I was already over by 5.5 hours.

Of course the beauty of salaried work is that you still just do it, no matter how many hours it is. And I still did several hours of work Friday night. But I also felt just fine about the amount of work I'd done, no matter how long the to-do list remained.

2 comments:

  1. That's good that you love your job. Hope it keeps going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new job and enjoying it. You failed to mention what you are doing though... care to enlighten?

    ReplyDelete