Sunday, May 13, 2012

Birthday Fun

Somewhere between Christmas and Easter, Scout started to understand special occasions. She started to understand what presents are. And she finally gets what a birthday means. She has been extremely excited about her own forthcoming birthday for weeks now. Since we recently introduced movies into her life and Dumbo is the only one that doesn't scare her, she decided that she wanted a Dumbo cake, a pink Dumbo cake to be specific. No big deal, I thought, I'll spend a couple bucks on a little plastic figurine, use pink frosting, and we'll call it good. Not so. There are no Dumbo figurines to be found. E-Bay only has vintage, collectible figurines. Once you add in shipping, they're pretty expensive. Disney itself sells just one, for $178. I could even buy a Swarovski Crystal Dumbo for over $750. No thanks. I finally realized that I could pay someone else to make a Dumbo cake for less than I would spend on the figurine. And I was right. While I was sad not to get to make the cake, we loved the result. And I loved not having to worry about getting it made and getting it right.

Well done, Carl's Cakes! Absolutely worth the drive.

In terms of Birthday Party, all she really cared about was the cake. And, of course, the song. She started singing to herself almost as soon as she was awake (at 6:30 a.m.--Is it my birthday, mom? I'm three! I turned three while I was sleeping. It's my birthday!) So we invited some friends to the park, to be sure we wouldn't get stuck eating the entire cake and to help us with the singing. They played for about an hour, especially in the ladybug, everyone ate cake and we went home.
To add to the festivities, there was a Birthday t-shirt (thanks Monga!), birthday cards, a few gifts and a special red Birthday plate. She even got more frozen blueberries than usual.
All in all, it was a fun day. We were all pretty exhausted by the time it was over. And I can't believe she's three already. On to the next challenge (big girls don't wear diapers!).


2 comments:

  1. Awww, she's so sweet and adorable! I love it when they start to get excited about their birthdays. Good job on the cake, sometimes it's better just to remove the stress so you can enjoy the day. Looks like everyone had fun, good luck with the potty training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we could celebrate with you! How's the potty training coming? I'm open to any tips.

    ReplyDelete