Thursday, June 21, 2012

Chronicles of a (Temporarily) Single Parent

9:45 pm Scout makes one final trip to the bathroom. Potty training is great and all, but it loses some charm when the trainee figures out that needing to go potty will get her out of bed practically every time. In our case, this means every fifteen minutes for an hour or two after bedtime, whether the potty is actually needed or not. When I inform her that, whether she wants to go to sleep or not, I'm going to bed, she finally gives it up and begrudgingly goes to sleep.

3:30 am A loud thump somewhere in the building startles me awake. I'm always afraid it's Scout falling out of bed. I don't hear any crying, but decide to tuck everyone in just in case. As I check that Scout isn't near the edge, she lifts her head and mutters, "Mommy, I need you." Might as well give in lest she wake up Thomas.  I lay down next to her and she puts her arm around my neck. "Mommy, protect me." Even at 3:30am, it melts my heart and I think that, tired or not, I'd better enjoy this moment. This is not a stage that lasts forever. After about 15 minutes, I slip back to my own bed.

4:45am Sounds of waking begin to emanate from the bedroom.Nope. Not gonna do it. Pre-6:00 I can handle, but pre-5:00 is out of the question. Fortunately, a binkie solves my problem and back to sleep I go.

5:40 am Sounds of waking again, this time more determined. Here we go. It's a good thing this kid wakes up happy; his mother does not. Bottle. Dry diaper. A vain attempt at a return to sleep. Tummy time for him. Work for me.

6:30 am Sounds of sleepiness from the floor. Swaddle. Puppy. Sleep. As I place him in his crib, a little voice calls from the corner, "Mommy, I want to wake up." "No sweetie, it's still night time." Please, please, please, please. (This never ever works. If the very edge of the sky has begun to light up, she knows and will insist that it is morning. The sun is up, and we should be too.) A miracle: it works. Sleep for all.

7:40 am Little feet pitter patter across the bedroom, down the hall, and up to my bed. "Mommy, I want to cuddle." Into bed she comes.

7:50 am Sounds of waking from the crib. Cuddling with a squirmy three-year-old isn't that restful anyway. Time to really start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment