Thursday, February 5, 2009

On my Mind

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,

For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,

Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,

And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,

Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.

Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,

And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,

And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,
And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then;

One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,

And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.




Come, ye children of the Lord,
Let us sing with one accord,
Let us raise a joyful strain
To our Lord, who soon will reign
On this earth, when it shall be
Cleansed from all iniquity;
When all men from sin will cease,
And will live in love and peace.


All arrayed in spotless white,
We will dwell ’mid truth and light.
We will sing the songs of praise;
We will shout in joyous lays.
Earth shall then be cleansed from sin.
Every living thing therein
Shall in love and beauty dwell;
Then with joy each heart will swell.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the link! did i give you mine? no matter, you can access it thru here.
    i'll be writing you back later - i LOVE long emails & all the news you shared!
    expect more from me soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know that I am sending love and all the comfort I can muster from a distance. I am sorry for your loss and the difficulty of bearing that burden and i wish I better understood -- I have yet to loose a grandparent I was really close to. I dread the day I lost Muni. Speaking of which, I really should call her more often... I lost both my grandfathers (one when I was little, one on my mission) the spirit bore me up then. as it will bear you up now, as these sweet poems/hymns attest. Ti voglio bene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of that hymn in these terms but its fitting.

    ReplyDelete