Friday, April 17, 2009

Easter Thoughts


Several years ago, I spent Easter as a missionary in Italy. It was a unique experience. I thought it was neat that everyone left church with palm leaves the Sunday before (not something that really happens in Utah, where I grew up). On Good Friday, the town had what I can only call a funeral for Jesus. There was a huge, solemn procession behind a giant crucifix. It was all very depressing. As someone whose job it was to preach the good news of salvation through Christ, I found it far too sad. I wanted to shout to all of those people, "He lives! Yes, he died, but that isn't the point! The point is that he was resurrected, and so will we be. The point is that even though everyone dies physically, and more important, spiritually, we will all be able to live again thanks to what Christ did." That's what Easter is supposed to be about! It seemed that in focusing on the cross, the people of Italy (or at least the people in that procession) were forgetting the empty tomb and the joy it represents. I truly felt like Alma. But, like Alma, I had to be content with my calling, which was to something different from shouting at crowds engaged in deeply help religious rituals.

In Italy there always seem to be church bells ringing. But, at Easter, the bells don't ring from Good Friday until Easter Sunday morning. I think it's an interesting symbolism.

The other thing I remember about my Easter in Italy is that the Sunday School teacher had challenged the members of his class to watch the sunrise and think about the sun rising that resurrection morning. It made me think about the symbolism of the Light of Christ in a whole different way. His resurrection brought hope to the world as the sun brings light after a dark night. I have always enjoyed the symbols of Christ relating to light, from the star telling the Nephites that their faith was not in vain and they would not be killed in the morning, to the sun that is closest to the earth during the darkest, coldest months of the year, to the darkness that surrounded the people when the Savior died and was no longer on the earth.

For me Spring is always very symbolic, and I like that Easter happens in the Spring. Winter can seem so long, dark and lifeless. But new life always comes. Similarly, the Savior brings renewal into our lives, creating a spiritual spring whenever we repent and turn to Him. Whether the winters in our lives are created by sin or just the adversity that finds everyone eventually, we can know that Spring will come. And even on the darkest, coldest days, we can look forward to the sunrise of the Savior's return. Sometimes it snows even after spring has arrived, but we know that a mere storm will not hold back the inevitable rejuvenation of spring, which will be followed by summer, full of warmth and life. This same hope comes from discovering the gospel, repenting, and welcoming the Savior into our lives.
This Easter, as I lay in bed unable to sleep, I watched the day dawning outside my windows, and was grateful for the Light of Christ in my life and the hope that it brings.

The morning breaks, the shadows flee;
Lo Zion's standard is unfurled!
The dawning of a brighter day
Majestic rises on the world.

2 comments:

  1. I Love that you got to live in Italy. It is my dream to at least VISIT that country. If you and James ever go back maybe Adam and I should tag along with you. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GRAZIE MILLE per questa "post". What a blessing it was for me to spend 2 christmases and 2 easters in italy. To celebrate a baptism on my last easter there. Thank you for your testimony and your memories. I wanted to comment on this so long ago. Now I will read it again and savor it. T voglio bene, cara!

    ReplyDelete