Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Really?

Do you ever feel like you're being watched? Closely?

I thinks it's interesting how Google gives you advertisements that are supposed to be tailored to you. When I'm emailing people about Community Gardening, I get ads for gardening supplies. Whenever I mention my baby, I get diapers, bottles and formula ads. For the longest time, Facebook knew I was a female in my late twenties and annoyed me with skads of pictures of everyone's bare midriffs with an assurance that mine could be just as flat. I'm not sure how Facebook figured out that I was pregnant, but it has saved me from the semi-clad models of the advertising world. Now I get pictures of stretch marks and products that will get rid of them.

Today, however, things got a little closer and even less comfortable. I was reading an email about General Conference-related activities and my Gmail popped up with this lovely little banner ad:
"Mormon Underwear - UnionLabel.com - See our Mormon Underwear Great deals go fast!"

What?

I guess the ploy worked because my curiosity was far too piqued not to click on the link. It turned out to be rather innocuous and not at all what it appeared. Mostly I just laughed at the randomness. But still, I'm beginning to feel like those "helpful" folks at Google may have crossed the line into over-invasion of my private interests. I guess I need to come to terms with it. After all, every time I email anyone about anything personal, everyone at Gmail can know about it too. Maybe I'll go back to snail mail....or not. I'll probably just keep pretending like I have some sort of privacy. Ignorance is bliss, right (even if it is willfully feigned)?

1 comment:

  1. It's true, there's no such thing as anonimity on the internet for us regular Joes. However I think that what's worse is people willfully giving up their privacy on things like facebook. I can't tell you how many leering/groping/cleavage/drinking pictures of (underage) former students I've seen on facebook. I just don't understand what people are thinking...

    ReplyDelete