Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What's in a Name?

Since people have asked...
Yes, it's true that James and I met and fell in love in the state of Virginia. We lived there for the first two years of our married life. We loved it. I want to move back there. I must confess that sometimes I play "Shenendoah" on my my iTunes and just sit with my eyes closed and dream of still being there with the beautiful flowering springs, the firefly-filled summer evenings, the warm wonderful people, the misty mornings, the trees and the porch swings.
HOWEVER...our daughter was not named for that Virginia. She was named after this Virginia:
This is Virginia Rand Shelley, who is James' grandmother and whom we like even more than the state of Virginia. It would seem she likes us too, since she came to visit this weekend. Or maybe she was checking out the baby to be sure her namesake is up to snuff. They seem to have gotten along quite well. And we hope Virginia grows up to be more like her great-grandmother than the state where her parents met (even though there are good things about both).

While we're talking about names...the current most popular nickname for Virginia is Scout, so I might as well explain that one too. It's not this Scout...
...it's this one (or, more accurately, her literary counterpart).
I was reading the book right after Virginia was born, she had on some overalls one day, and the nickname was born. We couldn't very well call her Atticus, could we?

3 comments:

  1. Oh fun She and Atticus are already friends! I can hardly wait to see you when do you get here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey that is great we now have a Atticus and Scout in the family. Sure can't wait to see you all in a week and four days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, if your coming to Utah you better call me so we can see you too! 801-623-7690 - Kassie.

    ReplyDelete