Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 29: Favorite Color


I have issues with this one. I've almost always had issues with this one. Why this obsession with favorites? Why must I rank the colors? Can't I choose a favorite a color scheme instead? Must I choose just one? I don't agree with telling our children they should have a favorite color, a best friend, a favorite food. Variety is good and enjoying one thing does not have to come at the detriment of another!

On top of my aversion to playing favorites generally, I think too much can be read into a favorite color. Or, at least, I thought so when I was little. Red? So cliche. Pink? Even more cliche. Blue? That's a boy color! Brown? Boring. Black? What is wrong with you? The options were so limited. Moreover, it really depends on what you're going to do with the color. The colors I want to wear, eat and look at are all quite different. I like red accessories, black clothes, green grass, brown fabric, white milk, purple carpet, yellow flowers, and orange vegetables.

I once tutored a little boy who told me his favorite color was white. Then you can color it whatever color you like. Perhaps I should stick with his answer.

2 comments: