Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 38: A Photo of Your Parents

I have a very specific picture I want to post. However, I can't seem to find it at the moment. And I'm already a day late. So, due to a shocking lack of pictures of my parents together, I will give you a few individual pics.

This photo, for me, IS my dad. We're on a backpacking trip, he's wearing that sweatshirt that he always wears, and he's taking amazing photos.
This is one of my favorite photos that I've ever taken (sun spots notwithstanding).

Here, again, is dad. We're on the side of the road in Grand Teton National Park. Virginia needs to be burped. And he's far better at it than anyone else.
So here we are in the mountains again, where a Grandpa is always a good thing to have.

Here's Dad at Christmas, enjoying his Santa hat, enjoying his Boy Scout present, and sporting the pjs that match everyone else's.
This particular year, we didn't explicitly coordinate, we just all showed up wearing the pjs from the year before.

Here's Mom being a grandma, one of her favorite things. The location of the picture is also very important. I took this photo shortly after Memorial Day. When I was little, we ALWAYS went to the cemetery on Memorial Day with my mom's mom. And now, whenever I can, I still go.
As you can see, we have begun to initiate Virginia into this very important Hock women ritual (yes, W4 begins to realize her destiny).

Mom being a grandma again, this time at the Farmer's Market in Madison.

This one is from a wonderful week my mom and I spent together right after Scout was born. James had a conference in Germany, so Mom came into town.
It was a time of feeling greatly connected to my progenitors and posterity. It's hard to explain what a great experience it was to learn how to be a mother from my mother, with my daughter right there. We missed James, but it was a wonderful week (the parts I haven't blocked out due to sleep deprivation anyway).


And now...surprise! I had an epiphany and found my favorite picture after all. I didn't take this one, but here are my parents.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post Melanie!! Totally caught mom and dad doing what they love!! Only wish the one with me in it that I was not scowling!! Oh well great one of dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post! I have a really great picture of mom and dad together in Yellowstone. If you want it I can email it to you. Hope you're doing well! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete