Saturday, December 12, 2009

Look What Santa Left Under (well, next to) Our Tree!!


I'm thankful that today, for the first time in over ten years, I live with a piano. I almost got a piano from Freecycle a few times, but for various reasons it never worked out. And now, thanks to the TA Union (I never thought I'd have good things to say about them--but for now I love them!), we have one of our very own. And it doesn't have to be tuned. And it's (relatively) easy to move. And I can turn down the volume and play at night after Scout is gone to bed.

Technically, this is Virginia's Christmas present. She's a lot of the reason we felt it was time to own a piano. But, since she can't fully appreciate it yet, I'm going to be taking care of it for her for a while. And of course, we felt good about getting it out before Christmas because she has no concept of such things anyway, and I did need to practice for the musical number I'm accompanying tomorrow.

I've been looking at pianos longingly for quite a long time. I try to play whenever I can. I pack a pile of music with me whenever we visit family with a piano. And every time we've stayed in a place where I could play one, I've felt like I was stealing a dance with someone else's boyfriend, wondering when the next opportunity would come along. But this baby's here to stay! I did jump up and down and clap my hands like a little girl for several minutes when James pulled out the keyboard portion. I can't believe it's really mine...I mean ours...I mean Virginia's. I spent a few hours this evening making sure it feels sufficiently welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Mel for the early Christmas present for yourself and your family. I deffinetly agree that it is something that cant wait it needs to be enjoyed now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Glad got someone something good out of the TAA...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a beauty! ;) That's super exciting. Is the volume thing so wonderful?

    ReplyDelete