Monday, December 21, 2009

New Insights

Yesterday, I was grateful to learn some new symbolism of Christmas. I learned two new things associated with Christmas that will make me think more of the Savior. For some reason, it really struck me, so I'll share what I learned.

First, food, which is definitely a part of my Christmas, is a symbol of Christ. In particular bread. Christ said, "I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." John 6:35
This is probably not news, but here's what I didn't know:

Bethlehem (the city where Jesus was born) means house of bread. What an appropriate name for the birthplace of the bread of life.
It is further appropriate that when Jesus was born, he was lain in a manger, which is usually a feeding trough for animals, or the place where they get their food. So, even in the circumstances of Jesus's birth, God was teaching us about his purposes.
Second, we talked about Santa Claus, who (unfortunately) is almost as much a part of Christmas as Jesus Christ these days. The instructor read this book, which points out all of the similarities between Santa and Jesus. Both wear red, have white hair, come in the night, bring gifts and want everyone to be good. So now, whenever I think of Santa, I will think of Christ.
I love receiving new insights that will help me to think more of the Savior.


No comments:

Post a Comment