Monday, January 11, 2010

December 26 - Music

I consider music one of the most valuable gifts my parents have given me. When I was a child, they took us all to the Utah Symphony's programs for children on Saturday mornings. They gave me dance lessons and piano lessons. Music was on in our house all the time. As a little girl, I was always puzzled about strange lyrics talking about washing men out of your hair and the like. I can hardly imagine life without music and the expression in provides. I was reminded of the power of music in a very simple way today.

We're sitting around Boxing Day evening just before dinner. Everyone has been hanging around doing a little of this and that. There are between eight and nine people at the house all day (including one rather cranky baby) and it's been busy, if enjoyable. As is usual at my in-laws' house, the classical music radio station is on in the background, playing random varieties of stuff. Suddenly, amidst the hubbub of getting dinner on the table, Rachmaninoff's Variations on a Theme From Paganini comes on. It too is largely rather exciting, spirited music. But then, about three quarters of the way through the twenty minute piece, out comes the most peaceful, beautiful melody. I make everyone in the room hush as I enjoy the pure musical ecstasy. It's meditation, visualization and relaxation all in one simple melody. On hectic days, when I'm running around doing errands and hoping Virginia will still get somewhat decent naps, this is the piece I put in the CD player as we drive around. And for the two minutes that the Eighteenth Variation lasts, I am reminded that amidst all the excitement of life, there is also peace.

To channel ABBA, and even though I can't really sing it, "thank you for the music...."

No comments:

Post a Comment