Monday, January 11, 2010

December 27 - Perseverance

During church today, Virginia was tired, cranky and loud. We were only in Sacrament Meeting a few minutes before I had to get up and take her out. I was hoping she'd go to sleep before long. She had other plans. While she did not sleep, she did make plenty of noise. In the end, I didn't get to take the sacrament, I didn't hear any of the talks. In short, I missed everything but the opening song. Thankfully, it was one of my favorites, so that portion at least was uplifting.

As the final talk began (it was given by my father-in-law and I'd really have liked to hear it), I thought about forgetting the last two hours and heading home to try and get a decent nap for the baby. I reasoned that it couldn't be that beneficial, particularly if I were going to spend the whole time in the hall. But, I decided to give Sunday School a try and see how things went.

Scout did pretty well. More importantly, about halfway through the lesson, I looked to the other side of the room where someone was making a comment and saw a familiar face. A good friend who moved away from Madison several months ago was sitting near the back of the room with her husband. I waved at her and after the lesson we were able to catch up. We sat together in Relief Society and she was finally able to meet Scout (Becky, my friend, moved away just after her birth). Seeing Becky brightened my mood considerably and absolutely made my day. And Scout even gave in and slept through most of Relief Society.

I'm thankful that my perseverance was rewarded with a completely random and wonderful reunion.

1 comment:

  1. Good job! My MIL is always trying to persuade me to take the kids home to sleep, since "there's no point in being here if you're just going to be in the hall". But there's something about staying for church that just makes me feel like I'm setting a good precedent, even if they don't really know what the heck is going on yet:) This is good validation for me!

    ReplyDelete