Thursday, January 7, 2010

January 4 - Services Rendered

Sometimes I feel bad about asking people to help me. It's even hard to accept when they offer. I don't want to be an inconvenience and I don't want to impose. Plus, let's be honest, I'm very independent. Every once in a while I remember, however, that if I enjoy doing things for others so much, it's likely that they enjoy doing things for me too. So it's okay if I'm not always on the giving end of service. Someone has to receive it, or else it's just wasted. Today, I did some major receiving.

Since we can't leave it parked on the street for weeks on end, our friends, the Solomons, watched our car for us while we were traveling. They kept it in their parking spot, dug it out of the snow, and even tried to repair it when it decided to stop working once the temperature dropped (more on this later). Then, despite being busy with twins, grad school and life, Ryan offered to come pick us up from the airport in Milwaukee, and Tish made us dinner when we got home and lent us transportation to stock up on groceries. It made the return home immeasurably better than it would otherwise have been. I felt, and still feel, very indebted. There is nothing to do, however, but issue a heartfelt thank you (I did) and be even more grateful to know such selfless, thoughtful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment