Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 11: Share Your Favorite Recipe(s)

I have a lot of favorite recipes. Some of my current favorite sources for them are:
The Best 30-Minute Recipe Books (by America's Test Kitchen)
The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book
The New American Plate by the American Institute for Cancer Research
The Garden Fresh Vegetable Cookbook by Andrea Chesman

And just because I feel like I ought to include at least one recipe, here's something I've been loving lately. You may not be familiar with kohlrabi, but you should become familiar. It's wonderful stuff, especially braised. And it's good for you. And once you have the skin off, it's pretty easy to make. So, when you go looking for it at the grocery store, this is what you want to find:
Braised Kohlrabi
from The New American Plate Cookbook
serves 4

1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 lbs kohlrabi, peeled and cut into 1/4 in. strips
1 1/2 cups fat-free, reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
Fresh ground black pepper
Freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)

In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the kohlrabi and saute for 5 minutes to coat with oil and begin the cooking process. Add the broth, bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the kohlrabi is tender. The cover may be removed during the last 5 minutes. Season to taste with pepper. Sprinkle with a few drops of fresh lemon juice, if desired. Drain off the broth and serve.

2 comments:

  1. And I love the way the word "kohlrobi" sounds in my mouth as much as I love the way it tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious and just my type of food. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete