Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 3: My Favorite Movies

This has always been an extremely difficult question for me. It's a little hard to get going, but much harder to stop. Here are a few I'm thinking of today:
"I'm not arguing that with you..."
I didn't love this one the first time I saw it. But I like it more every time I watch it. Ang Lee is amazing, the music is wonderful and it's just sumptuous and I love it. And Emma Thompson is good, but too old. "Thank you for pointing that out, my dear."
Nothing gets me in the Holiday Spirit like watching White Christmas. But then, I've already told you that.

I believe I saw this one in the theatre six times. It's wonderful. My family will sit around the dinner table quoting it.
"These mashed potatoes are so creamy."

When I have a project to do that doesn't require full concentration (tying a quilt, anyone?), this is the movie I turn on. But it's nicely divided into six pieces, in case I only have fifty minutes. And every piece is wonderful. And it's true to Austen.
Truly one of the greatest movies of all time. They do not make movies like this anymore.

If you haven't seen a Hitchcock, you haven't truly been thrilled, just frightened. They don't make movies like this anymore either.

And I should probably stop there. But I could go on. Oh, could I go on. Philadelphia Story, Vertigo, Wit, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Singing in the Rain, My Fair Lady...and here come the musicals. Must stop now.

3 comments:

  1. There are too many on this list I've never seen... I better catch up! (Emma Thompson is my favorite, always, no matter what age!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must be sisters! We love all of the same movies! Okay all but one, I've never seen the Hitchcock movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I liked you Melanie! We love the same movies. :-) I think I could quote White Christmas and Sense & Sensibility to you.

    ReplyDelete