Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Clever Girl


Virginia is in a major mimicking phase right now. If you speak clearly, she will frequently repeat back the last word you say (provided it has two or fewer syllables). Aside from picking up a lot of new words, her desire to be more like mom and dad has had some entertaining effects.
Whenever she can get her hands on my cell phone, she puts it up to her ear and wanders around for five to fifteen minutes saying "hello" into it. I try not to talk on the phone while she's around unless it's really necessary. She helps with this goal by reaching for the phone and crying whenever I do need to call someone.

She also loves to use whatever we're using and wear our stuff.

I am always carrying bags around with me. I have a library bag, a church bag, a Relief Society bag, a diaper bag, a purse, a work bag and then miscellaneous bags for whatever else I need to haul around. It's convenient for keeping track of my various roles. Virginia's favorite of my bags is my purse, which she loves to empty and refill. She also flings it over her shoulder and struts around the apartment. But anytime a bag is accessible, she'll put some treasures in and carry them around. She also likes to admire others' bags, and help empty them.

If I'm using the laptop, she comes over and shuts it then throws up her hands and says "all done." In the event that her closing attempts are stopped, she just goes for the power button. She knows where it is and she knows exactly what it does.

Virginia does not like to be left at home if someone is going out. She picks up on the signals really well. If James or I put on our shoes, she immediately asks to be picked up. And she does not want to be put down. She has become very cuddly of late and is very good at using this to her advantage. If you're about to put her down, she lays her head on your shoulder and gives you a big hug. If we put on a sweater or jacket, she starts asking for her coat so she can come along. If I pick up my bag or start packing my diaper bag, she starts a chorus of "go, go, go."
It's quite entertaining when all three of us are going somewhere. She can't quite figure out which parent is leaving so she doesn't know who to cuddle/manipulate. Of course we're just trying to get ready to leave so James will put on his shoes, then she'll want him to hold her, then I pick my bag, so she wants me, so once I take her James gets his keys and wallet, so of course she wants to go back to him. I've learned it's best not to try to do anything on a tight schedule if you have a toddler. It just makes everyone happier.
In truth, Virginia just likes coats. She finds comfort in them, apparently. One day something upset her and the only thing she wanted was to wear her coats. Three of them. You can't tell but she's actually wearing another coat underneath the purple one in this photo. And it was about 83 degrees that day.
Virginia also likes to take our keys. One day James gave her his keys and she wandered off somewhere in the apartment. She came back without them and we searched high and low to no avail. About a month later, I was doing dishes and she walked over with the keys in her hand. She proudly showed me her treasure. "Keys," she said. We went and woke Daddy up to give him the surprise. And we still have no idea where she stashed them for all that time.

Okay, that picture had nothing to do with stealing keys. But it does show two of Scout's favorite activities (bathing and wistfully gazing into the bathtub). And sometimes she hides things in the tub. This week it was library books. Not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment